- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 medium yellow onions, peeled, sliced & quartered
- 2 (32 ounce each) boxes beef broth
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon powder granules
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1 loaf crusty french baguette bread
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella provolone cheese mix
- Preheat oven broiler.
- In a 4 quart pot, melt the butter and sauté the onions until they are soft and golden brown.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour into onions and stir well. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Add the beef bouillon powder granules, beef broth and worcestershire sauce, mixing well. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove 3/4 cup of broth from soup and mix with remaining tablespoon of flour, stirring until smooth. Add mixture back into soup, stirring well and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Slice baguette into 1/2 inch slices and then each slice in half. Depending on the size of your ramekins, you might not have to slice the 1/2 inch slices in half.
- Prepare individual ovenproof ramekin bowls by layering the bottom of each dish with baguette slices and then covering the bread with shredded cheese. Add the soup until it almost reaches the top of each bowl and then more baguette slices to cover the soup and end with shredded cheese on top of baguette.
- Place in broiler and broil 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
NotesOh boy, was this ever delicious! My friend, Bobbijo_AZ, sent me a French Onion Soup recipe in 2009 and I finally decided I was going to make it after going thru one of my recipe folders! I modified the recipe and changed a few things as I went along and it turned out perfect! I posted the recipe with my changes! My family loved it especially my DS, Nate! He ate 4 ramekins of soup! :)
Very easy to make and tasty! Yummy!