- Cooking Time: 40
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter or margarine, cut into bits
- 1 1/4 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats, toasted (see tip below)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender, two knives or your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in the cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of the toasted oats until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, beat together the milk, egg, onion and mustard. Using a fork, add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until the dough holds together; do not overmix.
- Spoon the dough into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons toasted oats. Bake for 40 minutes or until browned and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the bread to a rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Slice with a serrated knife. Serve with Green Onion Butter.
- Stir all of the ingredients together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a small serving bowl or dish. Refrigerate until shortly before serving, then let soften slightly.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Social Cookbook
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Babette's Test KitchenSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More