- Cooking Time: 40
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter or margarine, cut into bits
- 1 1/4 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats, toasted (see tip below)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender, two knives or your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in the cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of the toasted oats until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, beat together the milk, egg, onion and mustard. Using a fork, add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until the dough holds together; do not overmix.
- Spoon the dough into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons toasted oats. Bake for 40 minutes or until browned and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the bread to a rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Slice with a serrated knife. Serve with Green Onion Butter.
- Stir all of the ingredients together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a small serving bowl or dish. Refrigerate until shortly before serving, then let soften slightly.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
50 Shades of Taste
Camp Nubar Baking Class
Austin Personal Training RecipesSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More