Cherry Cheesecake Stuffed Cupcakes
1 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup cherry pie filling (homemade or store bought)
Whipped Cream Frosting
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the Cupcakes
1) Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
3) In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and oil until smooth.
4) Beat in the egg and vanilla.
5) Alternating between the flour and buttermilk, gradually add the flour in 3 parts and the buttermilk in 2 parts.
6) Fill liners with batter. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean (you want a little bit of chocolate so they aren’t too dry).
7) Cool completely.
For the filling
1) In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth and fluffy. Set aside.
For the frosting
1) In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream until it thickens.
2) Gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla.
3) Beat on high until stiff peaks form (when you pull the beaters straight up, peaks form and won't fall over).
4) Reserve 2 tablespoons. Keep the rest cold in the refrigerator.
1) Cut a hole out of each cupcake, being careful not to cut through the bottom.
2) Reserve the tops but discard the rest of the crumbs.
3) Fold the reserved 2 tablespoons whipped cream into the cheesecake filling.
4) Spoon about a tablespoon into each cupcake then spoon 2 cherries on top.
5) Top with a reserved cupcake top. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.
6) Fill a pastry bag with the frosting. Pipe on top of each cupcake. Top with a cherry. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container.