- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 45
- CHOCOLATE ALMOND CRUST:
- 3/4 c whole raw almonds, lightly toasted
- 20 thin chocolate wafer cookies
- 1 stick butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- CHERRY TOPPING:
- 3/4 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 TBSP water
- 3 c cherries, pitted (if using frozen, thaw and drain)
- 1/4 c and 2 TBSP sugar
- the juice of 1 lemon (or 1 TBSP)
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- CHEESECAKE FILLING:
- 2 (8oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
- a few pieces of china I found at the thrift store with "cherry blossom pattern"
- 1 c sugar
- 3 TBSP flour
- 3 eggs
- 8 oz sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- the 1/2 cup of reserved cherry juice
- In a food processor, pulse almonds until ground.
- Add wafers and pulse to a fine grind.
- Add the butter, sugar, almond extract, and salt and pulse until well combined. Transfer to a 9 inch springform pan.
- Press evenly on the bottom and to about 1 inch up the sides of the pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand for about 1 minute.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring cherries, sugar and lemon juice to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Remove pan from heat and reserve 1/2 c juice.
- Then add the gelatin, and almond extract and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and the sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the flour, and then add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Beat in the sour cream and vanilla.
- Now it’s time to add the reserved cherry juice.
- The recipe calls for adding it all at this time.
- I poured drops of it onto the batter once it was in the pan and swirled with a toothpick.
- Beat until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake at 350 degrees F for 5o minutes.
- The cheesecake will still look jiggly in the center but will cook a bit more as it cools.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Then chill for one hour.
- Remove the sides of the pan and transfer to a plate.
- Refrigerate for another hour.
- Top with cherries.
- And then chill for another hour or more before serving.
NotesThis is my first cheesecake and it was delicious!
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More