CHERRY CHOCOLATE BLACK BOTTOM CUPCAKES
Cherry Chocolate Black Bottom Cupcakes
- Servings: 12
- For Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 c AP flour
- 1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c water
- 1/3 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp liquid from jar of maraschino cherries(or vanilla if you're using fresh cherries)
- For Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1.5 oz chopped dark chocolate
- 12 maraschino cherries(or fresh if preferred)
- *Optional 12 cherries for topping the cupcakes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coat a 12 cup cupcake pan with non-stick baking spray or line it with paper cups. Sift together all of the dry ingredients for the cupcakes in a medium bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix together the cupcake's wet ingredients. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture in two batches. Stir just until smooth, don't over mix.
Evenly distribute the cupcake batter between the 12 cups of the pan, each will be about 2/3rds full.
Prepare the filling for the cupcakes by thoroughly mixing the cream cheese, egg, and sugar. When these three ingredients are well combined, fold in the chocolate and cherries.
Drop about two tablespoons of the filling into the center of each of the already batter filled cups. It will sink slightly into the batter. Once each of the cups has both batter and filling, bake them for 25 minutes.
Allow them to cool slightly before serving or storing in an airtight container.