- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMini chips work best in this recipe because the regular chips will sink to the bottom.
- 1 pkg. white cake mix
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. almond extract (Mmmm!)
- 3 egg whites
- 2 jars (10 oz each) maraschino cherries, well drained and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips*
- Frosting of your choice
- Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom of 9x13 pan or spray with cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, sour cream, oil, almond extract and egg whites in large bowl on low speed, about 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes (batter will be thick). Drain chopped cherries on paper towels; pat dry. Stir cherries and chocolate chips into batter. Pour into pan.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool completely before frosting. You can use a ready-to-spread cherry frosting which gives it a nice pink color. If you can't find that, you can use vanilla frosting colored with red food coloring.