- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis French-country dessert comes in many flavours and textures. This one from Canadian WW site, is filled with fresh cherries and has a creamy, flan-like consistency.
- 1 sprays cooking spray
- 8 oz cherries, fresh, pitted, halved, or 8 oz frozen unsweetened whole pitted cherries
- 3 large egg(s)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 1 oz cognac
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 10-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- Arrange cherries on bottom of prepared pie plate; set side.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until frothy; whisk in extract, salt, cognac and milk. Add flour and 1/3 cup of sugar, a little at a time, whisking with each addition; mix until just combined. Pour mixture over cherries and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300ºF and bake until centre of clafouti puffs up and a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Allow clafouti to cool before sprinkling with 1/4 teaspoon of powdered sugar. Cut into 6 pieces and serve.
- Clafouti can be made with virtually any fresh or flash frozen fruit. Though cherries are traditional, try apples, pears, peaches or nectarines cut into little cubes, or whole berries like raspberries, blackberries or blueberries.
- Please note that the clafouti will sink in the centre as it cools.