- Cooking Time:
- Servings: Makes 6 servings.
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (1 lb. 4 oz.) can pitted tart cherries, undrained (2 c.)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 Tb. quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 Tb. butter
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 4 drops almond extract
- Cobbler Topping
- Combine cherries, sugar and tapioca. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and clear, about 15 minutes. Stir in butter, salt and almond extract.
- Pour hot mixture into 10" X 6" X 1 1/2" baking dish. Add Cobbler Topping at once.
- Bake in hot oven (400º F.) about 20 minutes, or until crust is browned. Serve warm with cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Note: If you like more cherry filling, double the recipe, but use the same quantity of Cobbler Topping.
- (*This is the way I always do it!*)
- Cobbler Topping: Sift together 1 c. flour, 1 Tb. sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cut in 1/4 c. butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix 1/4 c. milk and 1 slightly beaten egg. Add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir just to moisten. Drop by spoonfuls on hot cherry mixture. Bake as directed in Cherry Cobbler recipe.