- Cooking Time: 35/40
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups cherries (preferably red), washed and pitted
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Thoroughly combine all of the topping ingredients in a bowl with a fork or with your fingers.
- Set aside.
- Either with a wooden spoon or with a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Add the yogurt and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to the batter all at once and mix just until the ingredients are wet.
- Don't over mix the batter.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- The batter will be a bit sticky and might be difficult to spread but don't worry.
- Level it off as best you can.
- Sprinkle the prepared topping evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
- Let cool completely before removing the cake from the pan.
NotesContributor: Adapted from Scones, Muffins, and Tea Cakes
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More