- Cooking Time: 20-22
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rum
- 2 pounds fresh cherries, pitted
- White chocolate sauce:
- 1/2 heavy cream
- 4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- Shortcake: Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in the bowl of a mixer. Cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly. Add remaining ingredients and beat just until combined.
- Turn out onto a floured board and press out to about 3/4" thickness, cut into rounds.
- Transfer to a nonstick baking sheet and bake 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cherries: Combine sugar, rum and cherries in a gallon zip-top bag and let sit at room temperature for a few hours, turning occasionally
- White Chocolate: Heat cream over a double boiler. Stir in chopped white chocolate, blending until melted. Cool to room temperature.
- To serve, slice shortcakes in half, spoon over sauce and top with cherries.
NotesSummer on a plate. I can never resist cherries when they are in season but if you're not making pie it's difficult to find recipes for them. These make for a lovely dessert that lets the cherries take center stage.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Kale Yeah It's Good...No Meat NecessarySee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More