- Cooking Time: 20-22
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rum
- 2 pounds fresh cherries, pitted
- White chocolate sauce:
- 1/2 heavy cream
- 4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- Shortcake: Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in the bowl of a mixer. Cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly. Add remaining ingredients and beat just until combined.
- Turn out onto a floured board and press out to about 3/4" thickness, cut into rounds.
- Transfer to a nonstick baking sheet and bake 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cherries: Combine sugar, rum and cherries in a gallon zip-top bag and let sit at room temperature for a few hours, turning occasionally
- White Chocolate: Heat cream over a double boiler. Stir in chopped white chocolate, blending until melted. Cool to room temperature.
- To serve, slice shortcakes in half, spoon over sauce and top with cherries.
NotesSummer on a plate. I can never resist cherries when they are in season but if you're not making pie it's difficult to find recipes for them. These make for a lovely dessert that lets the cherries take center stage.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Babette's Test KitchenSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce