- Cooking Time: 55
- Preparation Time:
- 2 loaves good-quality white bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 20 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh chestnuts (4 cups) , scored with an X
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 4 small onions, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 3 cups)
- 1 bunch celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 5 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- Spread bread cubes in single layers on baking sheets.
- Let dry at room temperature, uncovered, overnight.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil.
- Add chestnuts; cook until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain; let cool slightly.
- Peel and quarter chestnuts; set aside.
- Peeled chestnuts can be refrigerated in an airtight container 2 to 3 days.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery; cook, stirring, until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add sage; cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup stock; cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture to a large bowl.
- Add remaining 41/2 cups stock, the chestnuts, bread, salt, and parsley; season with pepper.
- Toss to combine.
- If not stuffing turkey, transfer to a buttered 17-by-12-inch baking dish.
- Cover; bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
- Uncover; bake until hot and golden brown, 30 minutes more.
NotesThis is really good for Thanksgiving dinner but you can easily make it for any other night. It makes a TON so I always half it. If you're feeding 10+ people, then definately make the whole thing.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Taste of CenturyLink
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' RecipesSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More