- Cooking Time: 55
- Preparation Time:
- 2 loaves good-quality white bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 20 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh chestnuts (4 cups) , scored with an X
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 4 small onions, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 3 cups)
- 1 bunch celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 5 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- Spread bread cubes in single layers on baking sheets.
- Let dry at room temperature, uncovered, overnight.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil.
- Add chestnuts; cook until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain; let cool slightly.
- Peel and quarter chestnuts; set aside.
- Peeled chestnuts can be refrigerated in an airtight container 2 to 3 days.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery; cook, stirring, until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add sage; cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup stock; cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture to a large bowl.
- Add remaining 41/2 cups stock, the chestnuts, bread, salt, and parsley; season with pepper.
- Toss to combine.
- If not stuffing turkey, transfer to a buttered 17-by-12-inch baking dish.
- Cover; bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
- Uncover; bake until hot and golden brown, 30 minutes more.
NotesThis is really good for Thanksgiving dinner but you can easily make it for any other night. It makes a TON so I always half it. If you're feeding 10+ people, then definately make the whole thing.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More