- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2 C rolled oats
- 1/2 C wheat germ
- 1/4 C flax seed
- 1/3 C brown sugar
- 1 C whole wheat or all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 C natural peanut butter (we prefer chunky!)
- milk or water in case dough is too dry
- 1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, wheat germ, flax seed, flour, brown sugar and salt.
- Add the honey, egg, and peanut butter.
- Mix until well-blended.
- If dough is too dry, add a little milk or water a tablespoon at a time. The dryness depends on the moistness of your natural peanut butter.
- Pat dough evenly into pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until edges start to turn golden.
- Let the bars cool for 5-10 minutes and then cut while still warm.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
NotesMy husband and I love peanut butter! We also eat a lot of granola bars because they are the perfect convenience food. I decided to create a healthy, protein-packed recipe that would include our favorite ingredient and would be quick to make (since I make a lot of them!).