- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- One medium to large rotisserie chicken
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the dish
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups baking mix, such as Bisquick
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Butter a large casserole dish. Pull the meat off the chicken, shredding it with your fingers or a fork into the baking dish.
- In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are browned, about 6 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, sprinkle the flour into the skillet and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup of the milk and simmer for 1 minute more. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the lemon juice, and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour the gravy over the chicken in the baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter with the garlic.
- Stir together the baking mix, the remaining 2/3 cup of milk and the cheese. Drop tablespoonfuls of the biscuit mixture on top of the casserole and brush with half of the garlic butter. Bake until the biscuits are golden brown, about 25 minutes, brushing them once or twice with the remaining garlic butter.
NotesThis is a very yummy recipe. I leave out the onions, mushrooms, and celery and double the gravy!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Mom's Cooking SecretsSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More