- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 lb - chicken, cut in 8 pieces
- 3 1/2 cups - flour + extra if needed
- 1 tbsp - baking powder
- 6 tbsp - butter, cold, in pieces
- 4 lg - eggs
- 1/3 cup - milk
- 1 lg - sweet onion, chopped
- salt, pepper, sage, thyme to taste
- Put chicken pieces in 3 1/2 quarts cold water with 2 pinches salt, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Let chicken cool in broth.
- Sift 3 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and 1 tsp. salt into large bowl.
- Work cold butter into flour mixture until resembles coarse meal.
- Beat eggs and milk and then add to flour mixture stirring until dough just holds together. Transfer to heavily floured surface and gently knead until dough is smooth, soft, and slightly tacky.
- Divide dough into 2 balls and cover each with plastic wrap to prevent dough from drying out. Roll each dough ball out on a heavily floured surface to a 12" x 24" rectangle and sprinkle with flour.
- Cut rectangles into 2" squared, then cover with clean dish towels.
- Transfer chicken to a large bowl.
- Season stock in pot to taste with salt and pepper and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add onions and thyme.
- Working quickly, add dough squared, dropping them into broth 2 or 3 at a time, stirring as you do so.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, until dough is cooked through and broth has thickened, 25 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred chicken meat into medium size pieces, Add chicken to pot, stir well, and simmer until heated through - about 5 minutes
- Can use food processor with dough blade (don't over process) for dough.
- Consider removing chicken pieces from broth after cooking, and when cool enough, pull meat from bone and skin.
- Continue to simmer bone and skin in the broth (either in tied cheesecloth packet, or in a metal strainer inside stock pot) for a richer broth.
NotesAdapted from a recipe in Saveur
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More