- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 4-5
- Preparation Time: 15
- 8 chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno diced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth/stock
- 1/2 cup green chilis, diced
- 1 14.5-ounce can plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 15-ounce can corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream for garnish
- 1 avocado, sliced for garnish
- Season chicken with salt, cumin and pepper.
- In a heavy 4-quart pot with cover, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil & saute chicken, turning frequently, until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to casserole dish. Mix in onion, carrots and garlic; saute for 3 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken broth, jalapenos, green chilis, tomatoes with juice, black beans, corn and salt. Bring to simmer; add chicken back to casserole. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook for 20 minutes. Turn chicken and cook for another 20 minutes. Add cilantro; transfer to serving dish and garnish with sour cream and avocado slices. Serve immediately.