Chicken & Dumplings
3 pounds chicken drumsticks (about 12), rinsed and patted dry; or 1 rotisserie chicken
Salt and pepper
3 baking potatoes, peeled
2 tablespoons butter
oinion powder, to taste
6 cups (48 ounces) chicken broth
1 large egg
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, plus more for kneading
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Place the chicken on a rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast about 45 minutes. Let cool and then shred; discard the skin and bones.
2. Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a medium saucepan with enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then simmer until fork-tender, about 45 minutes. Drain.
3. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Pour in the broth and bring to a gentle simmer.
4. Meanwhile, mash the potatoes with 1 teaspoon salt until almost smooth. Mix in the egg, then the flour, until combined.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll one-third of the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick log. Pinch off inch-long pieces and roll to form small disks. Repeat with the remaining dough.
6. Add the dumplings to the broth. Once they float, cook for 3 to 4 minutes more. Stir in the reserved chicken and season with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Add flour until desired thickness is reached. Top with the parsley.
Pairs Well With
I was looking at a few recipes for chicken & dumplings, and ended up mixing & matching parts of many recipes to come up with my own!