- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 - 3-4 lb chicken, stewed, skinned boned and cubed
- Chicken broth from the stewed chicken add water to = 9 Cups (I just used canned broth most of the times)
- 2 C uncooked rice
- 1 lb bulk sausage or diced ham (( use sausage)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large bunch celery, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 8 oz cans sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 3 4 oz pkd dry noodle mix (I use chicken noodle mix)
- 2 - 2 3/4 oz pkd slivered almonds
- In large sauce pan, stew chicken in water for 1 hour or until chicken is done and tender. Remove and bone, skin and chop. Reserve the broth. Bring broth to boil. Add rice and continue boiling 9 minutes. Set aside.
- Brown sausage in skillet and remove with slotted spoon. In sasage drippings, saute onions, celery and peppers. Stir in water chestnuts. Remove heat. Stir mushroom soup into rice mixture. In one large or several small casseroles, layer rice, dry noodle soup mix, sausage, chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle slivered almonds on top. Bake covered 1 hour for large casserole, shorter time for smaller casseroles at 350*.
NotesNotes: If using ham, melt 1/2 c butter in skillet and saute'. (I think I would use less butter) This can be divided into the smaller casseroles and frozen. I used to make 2 casseroles out of this. One for the family and the other to take to a friend with a need.