- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe one dish that I remember from the high school cafeteria was their chicken and noodles. Of course I would get them without mashed potatoes so they would give me more of the noodley goodness. Man oh man was that stuff awesome. This is my attempt at creating this dish at home. And I must admit, it is pretty darn tasty.
Notes: Although I poached an entire chicken I am only going to use half of the meat for this recipe and I will use the rest for a recipe later this week. But if you are serving a large group or want a lot of leftovers feel free to double all the remaining ingredients and use the entire amount of meat from the chicken.
- 1 whole chicken cut up
- 3 Tbls butter
- 3 Tbls flour
- 48 oz chicken broth or stock
- (^If you like a saucier dish than what is pictured add in more broth/stock)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper (to taste)
- Dash of paprika
- 8 oz Egg noodles
- Put chicken pieces in the bottom of a large pot and fill with water.
- Bring water to a simmer and let simmer until the chicken is cooked through (30 minutes or so).
- Remove chicken from pot, discard the water and set aside to cool.
- Once chicken is cooled separate the meat from the fat and bones (save fat and bones to make chicken stock if desired) ad shred the chicken.
- Melt butter in large pot and whisk in flour.
- Stir and cook for a minute or until flour is browned.
- Slowly whisk in chicken stock.
- Add in seasonings and bring broth/stock to a boil.
- Once at a boil add in noodles.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and let simmer until noodles are done.
- Add in half of the shredded chicken (use the remaining for another recipe) and reduce heat to low to warm the chicken.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.