- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 3 pounds), skinned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper strips
- 1 1/2 cups green bell pepper strips
- 1 cup thinly vertically sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 cups hot cooked penne (about 3/4 pound uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Combine first 6 ingredients, and sprinkle 4 teaspoons oregano mixture evenly over chicken. Set remaining oregano mixture aside.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Add the chicken to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
Remove chicken from the pan.
Add mushrooms, bell peppers, and onion to pan; sprinkle with remaining oregano mixture.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Add vinegar, bay leaves, tomatoes, and tomato paste; stir to combine.
Arrange the chicken over tomato mixture, and bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes or until the chicken is done.
Place 1 cup pasta in each of 6 shallow bowls; top each serving with 1 chicken breast half. Ladle 1 cup sauce over chicken, and sprinkle each serving with 4 teaspoons of Parmesan cheese.