Why I Love This Recipe
Caccitore means “hunter” in Italian. It is a dish prepared "hunter style" popularly made with braised chicken or rabbit. I have tried many different recipes and approaches to this dish. I have settled on my favorite preparation which is a combination of recipes that I have tried over time. Traditionally made with chicken breasts and legs on the bone, I like to make this meal with legs and thighs. If you use chicken breasts, make sure to simmer 10-15 minutes longer.
Ingredients You'll Need
4 chicken thighs; with skin
4 Chicken drumsticks; with skin
1 cup All purpose flour
1 tablespoon Salt
1 teaspoon Black pepper
2 tablespoons Olive oil
1 medium onion; diced
4 cloves Garlic; minced
1 Red bell pepper; chopped
1/2 cup Fresh mushrooms; sliced
2 tablespoons Capers; drained
1 can diced tomatoes; 28 ounce
1 cup Dry white wine
1 cup Low sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoon Dried oregano
3 tablespoons Fresh basil; chopped
1 pinch salt; to taste
1 pinch Black pepper; to taste
1. Pat dry the chicken pieces with a paper towel, in a shallow dish or pie plate, combine flour, salt and pepper, mix well.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil, when hot, dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mix, then add chicken pieces skin side down, brown for 5 minutes, turn and brown for another 5 minutes. If you can't fit all in the pan, brown in batches.
3. Once the chicken is browned, remove from the skillet to a plate and set aside. Reduce heat to medium, add bell pepper, onion, garlic, saute for 4-5 minutes until soft.
4. Add wine, reduce by half about 3-4 minutes.
5. Add chicken stock, cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
6. Add the capers, oregano, mix well, taste, add salt and pepper to taste, then return the chicken and coat completely. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes stirring occasionally.
7. Remove the chicken from the skillet to a serving platter, and increase the heat to medium-high bringing the sauce to a boil, cook stirring for 2-3 minutes until sauce slightly thickens, remove from heat and pour sauce over chicken.
8. Top with fresh chopped basil, serve with rice, noodles, or any side dish you like. Enjoy!