- Cooking Time: 1 hr
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 1 hr
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 6 whole, small red onions, peeled and chopped in half
- 12 pieces of jerusalem artichoke, peeled (can substitute parnips)
- 9 oz dried figs
- 7 oz dried prunes
- 7 oz dried apricots
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 sticks cinammon
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups dry red wine
- Sservice over:
- 1 ob instant couscous
- 1/2 cup roasted walnuts (optional)
- 1. Mix all ingredients for marinade together
- 2. Arrange chicken, onions, jerusalem artichoke and dried fruit in a baking dish, and pour over marinade. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours, up to 24 hours.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350 F
- 4. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until the chicken turns shiny and brown. Baste occasionally with liquid from bottom of the pan.
- 5. Serve over a bed of cous cous, with walnuts sprinkled on top.
- I usually prepare this dish over the course of a few days. The first day, I peel parsnips and boil them for about 10 minutes. I also chop ingredients, prepare the marinade, and marinate the dish for about 24 hours.
NotesFrom the same book, "The Book of New Israeli Food".
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Delightful DessertsSee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More