- Cooking Time: 25 to 35
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups of cooked chicken*
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk or half-and-half
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4 oz.) can portabello mushrooms, sliced
- Nutmeg, ground or grated
- 3 cups cooked basmati or white rice
- 1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- Cut the cooked chicken into bite-size pieces (great for using leftover chicken, or chicken used in making stocks*).
- Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat then add the flour, whisking constantly for 1 minutes.
- Mixture is quick thick.
- Remove pan from the heat and add the chicken stock and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the milk.
- Set the skillet back on the burner and increase the heat to medium.
- Bring the mixture just to a simmer, whisking constantly.
- Remove pan from heat, scrape sides and whisk to break up any lumps.
- Return pan to heat, whisking, and bring to a simmer cooking for 1 minute.
- Stir in the poultry and mushrooms, season with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and 2 to 3 pinches of grated or ground nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Position the rack in the center of the oven.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan or other shallow dish.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared pan (spray pan with cooking spray) and sprinkle with bread crumb mixture over the top of the casserole(mix together the melted butter, cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake until the sauce is bubbly and the crumbs are golden brown, 25 to 35 minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Short & Sweet
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
The Social CookbookSee More
Picnic Chicken SaladSee More