- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis recipe was found in “Taste of Home Chicken Recipes.” It is super easy to make and was a crowd pleaser at a dinner party I just had. I recommend making the chicken ahead if you can; it will cut done on prep time. I made a few changes to the dish when I made it the second time. I did not add the basil and baked the chicken in the over after I let in marinate in sun-dried tomato vinaigrette. I also added Dijon mustard to the sauce for more flavor. Enjoy!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 pound)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 8 thin slices of deli ham
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- Additional milk, optional
- Place chicken in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; cover with water. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until juices run clear. Meanwhile, in a skillet, sauté mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into skillet. Add seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain chicken. Cut pastry sheets in half width-wise. One side of each half, place a chicken breast, 1/4 cup mushroom mixture, two ham slices and one cheese slice. Fold pastry over filling; seal edges. Place on a greased baking sheet. Brush tops with milk if desired. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until puffed and golden.