- Cooking Time: 70-80
- Servings: 3-4
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis recipe was adapted from a recipe a friend gave to me. This rich and savory casserole serves 8 to 10. Serve this dish with steamed rice or buttered egg noodles, if desired.
- 3 or 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1 family size bag of broccoli, frozen or large fresh head, chopped
- 2 - 10 3/4 oz cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I prefer Hellmans / Best Foods)
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese (any kind; I prefer sharp cheddar)
- In a large pot, bring the broth and water to a boil.
- Add chicken and simmer, covered, for 9 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and let chicken stand in cooking liquid, covered, until, cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli until tender (about 10 minutes once the water comes to boil).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly spray a 13x9 baking pan with vegetable oil.
- Put chopped broccoli evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Cut up the chicken into cubes or small pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix together the soup, mayonnaise, evaporated milk, curry powder, garlic powder, black pepper, lemon juice, cheese, and chopped chicken.
- Pour the mixture over the broccoli as evenly as possible.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes.