- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut up
- 3/4 head cabbage, shredded thin
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 scallions
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pkg. egg roll wrappers (about 20 wrappers)
- Combine 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 clove minced garlic, and 2 chopped scallions in a resealable bag.
- Add chicken to marinade.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in wok or large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken with the marinade juices to the wok. Cook about 5 minutes, then add another clove of minced garlic, and add the last tbsp of soy sauce to the chicken mixture.
- Cook about 5 minutes more.
- Remove chicken from the wok and place in a bowl to cool.
- To the same pan, add the shredded cabbage and carrots.
- Stir fry until vegetables become slightly wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Work in your bean sprouts and cook 1 minute more.
- Remove wok from heat.
- Once your chicken has cooled, break it down into bite sized pieces.
- Add the chicken into the vegetable mixture and toss.
- To help prevent sogginess, strain the egg roll mixture in a colander.
- Bundle up some paper towels and press down on the mixture with your palms.
- Press out as much liquid as you can.
- Then, let mixture cool for about 30 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water in small bowl. Sprinkle a bit of the cornstarch on your plate for the rolled egg rolls as well.
- This will help to prevent the rolls from sticking to the plate.
- Dip your finger in the cornstarch/water mixture and wet the sides.
- Put a small handful of chicken mixture (about 2 ounces) in the center of the wrapper.
- Then fold up according to the package directions.
- Heat oil to 350 and carefully drop rolled up egg rolls into the hot oil.
- Cook for about 4 minutes, turning once.
- Remove egg rolls from hot oil and drain, VERTICALLY, in a pot lined with paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
NotesMy mother-in-law gave me this recipe a couple of years ago. Prep is a bit time consuming, but worth it. They will be a hit, guaranteed!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Lau Family Recipes
Fun appetizers and snacks
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More