CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP
Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound of chicken breast or thighs, boneless & skinless
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 green or red pepper diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (I use Hunt's with green chiles for more heat)
- 4 C. of chicken broth
- 3 C. water
- 1 C. masa harina
- 16oz can of enchilada sauce, or you can make your own
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16oz of Mexican cheese or cheddar cheese
- Red pepper flakes or hot peppers of your choice for added heat.
- Tortilla chips
- chopped cilantro
Over medium heat, coat pot with oil, and brown chicken 4-5 minutes per side. Set chicken aside.
Add onions, peppers, garlic and saute over medium heat for about two minutes. Add canned tomatoes, stir, cooking for about 1 more minute, then add chicken broth.
Combine masa harina with 2 C. of water in medium bowl; wisk until blended. Add this to the broth mixture. Mix until well combined
Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, and spices. Slowly add the cheese, while mixing to prevent clumping. Bring to a boil.
Shred the chicken into small bite size pieces, add to the pot. Reduce heat and simmer 30-40 minutes.
Serve in bowl with chips, top with cilantro for added taste!
*If its too hot for you, add a bit of sour cream to your bowl :)