- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound of chicken breast or thighs, boneless & skinless
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 green or red pepper diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (I use Hunt's with green chiles for more heat)
- 4 C. of chicken broth
- 3 C. water
- 1 C. masa harina
- 16oz can of enchilada sauce, or you can make your own
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16oz of Mexican cheese or cheddar cheese
- Red pepper flakes or hot peppers of your choice for added heat.
- Tortilla chips
- chopped cilantro
- Over medium heat, coat pot with oil, and brown chicken 4-5 minutes per side. Set chicken aside.
- Add onions, peppers, garlic and saute over medium heat for about two minutes. Add canned tomatoes, stir, cooking for about 1 more minute, then add chicken broth.
- Combine masa harina with 2 C. of water in medium bowl; wisk until blended. Add this to the broth mixture. Mix until well combined
- Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, and spices. Slowly add the cheese, while mixing to prevent clumping. Bring to a boil.
- Shred the chicken into small bite size pieces, add to the pot. Reduce heat and simmer 30-40 minutes.
- Serve in bowl with chips, top with cilantro for added taste!
- *If its too hot for you, add a bit of sour cream to your bowl :)
NotesThis is super easy and made all in one pot! I married into a Hispanic family and I am still learning how to make the authentic foods, but my husband LOVES this soup and asks for it all the time.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
The NourishFull KitchenSee More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More