- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 cup masa harina
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1. In a large pot over medium heat, cook chicken breasts in oil until well browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- 2. Cook onion and garlic in remaining oil until onions are translucent. Pour in chicken broth.
- 3. In a bowl, whisk together masa harina and 2 cups water until well blended. Pour into pot with remaining 1 cup water, enchilada sauce, Cheddar, salt, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil.
- 4. Shred cooked chicken and add it to the pot. Reduce heat and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, until thickened.
NotesThis is a copy of a favorite served at a local restaurant. My family loves it! Serve soup in bowls garnished with shredded Cheddar or Jack cheese and crumbed tortilla chips. Thanks Karen Hix for sharing.