- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 small can green chilies (optional)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt, pepper, cayenne
- corn tortillas (usually about 12)
- Saute onions in a small amount of butter or oil until translucent. Combine chicken, onions, green chilies and cheddar cheese in a large bowl and season with salt, pepper and cayenne (if desired). Set aside.
- In saucepan, melt butter, blend in flour, add chicken broth, and cook until mixture thickens and bubbles. Stir in Monterey Jack cheese and coriander and continue to blend until cheese is melted. Stir in sour cream. Cook until heated through, but DO NOT BOIL.
- In large glass baking dish spread a little sauce on the bottom (enough to cover). Place chicken mixture in a tortilla, roll and place in dish, repeat until filling is gone. Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas (you may also reserve some to pour over after they have baked if you like). Cover dish with tinfoil and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes (until bubbly).
- If you like your food a little spicier you can add some spice to the chicken mixture by adding any kind of seasoning such as cayenne, chili powder etc, peppers (chipotle, green, etc) or hot sauce.
- You can also make this more casserole like by layering the items. First a little sauce, then tortillas to cover the bottom of dish, then filling and then more tortillas and top with sauce. Cover and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- This can also be frozen after preparation. After freezing, if thawed bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees (covered) or 50 minutes if frozen (until bubbly).
NotesMy mom doesn't cook very often, but this is one recipe I've inherited from her. It's now my staple to take to friends who've just had babies because it freezes easily. It's easy to customize because you can basically add anything to the enchiladas that you want :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free and Delicious
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More