- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryYummy! Delicious dish! You wouldn't believe how the sauce holds up! It stays so creamy and I think the key to that is not over baking it and not adding to many noodles! As soon as my cheese was melted on top, I pulled it out of the oven at 16 minutes! I'm also known for making to much pasta because it doesn't look like enough adding it to the boiling water but this time I didn't care what it looked like! I stopped adding the noodles right at ½ pound! Perfect!
Our local grocery store has the best freshly shaved cheeses and I knew I would use the shaved parmesan in this dish and it made such a smooth and creamy sauce and it melts nicely on the top! I find that sometimes the shredded lumps up in sauces and I wasn't going down that road with this recipe! It turned out so well that shaved it is from now on with me with recipes calling for shredded!
I love sun-dried tomatoes which this recipe calls for but I had some roasted red peppers in a jar and I used them and they were wonderful in this dish! I also sprinkled very little basil on top of this and it was great! I think oregano would be great as well!
This dish really impressed me and my family! We loved it and I served it with some crusty garlic bread!
- ½ pound of fettuccine, boiled to al dente and drained
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup grated parmesan (I used shaved and ¾ cup)
- 1½ cups of cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- ½ cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut into thin strips (I used roasted red peppers from a jar)
- 2 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese for topping (I used shaved and a little more)
- sprinkle of basil or oregano for topping if desired
- Heat oven to 350°. Spray baking dish; square 8x8 or oval dish, with cooking spray. I used an 11x11 square baking dish.
- Season chicken and cook. Cube or shred when finished cooking.
- Cook bacon and drain.
- Cook pasta as directed and drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in half-and-half and 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese. Stir in chicken, tomatoes and bacon. I added a little salt at this point.
- Add pasta to chicken mixture; toss gently to mix well. Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoon of parmesan cheese. If desired, top with a little basil or oregano.
- Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until hot in the center.