- Servings: 4
- 1.25 lbs. chicken pieces (I used breast this time, but I also love using thighs, or a combo)
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping Tbsp. plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 batch of tzatziki (http://ellysaysopa.com/2007/03/14/elly-is-still-saying-opa/)
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced onions (I use red as they are the only kind I like raw)
- 4 (pocketless) pitas
Whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, yogurt, and oregano in a bowl. Add the chicken and rub the marinade in. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
Preheat the broiler (or grill, or pan on the stove). Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and then broil until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side, depending what size/type chicken you are using. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before slicing into strips.
Meanwhile, heat your pitas. I have a gas stove, so I just spray them with a little bit of oil and stick them right on the burner for a few seconds per side. Top the pita with the chicken, tzatziki, tomatoes, onions. Roll up and eat!