- Cooking Time: 90
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryThe original recipe was found at allrecipes.com. This version is a copy of the original, and I will be back to edit this with my own twist to the recipe. I will also provide Vegan tips to transform the recipe!
- * 1 tablespoon olive oil
- * 2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces
- * 1 large onion, finely chopped
- * 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- * 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- * 3/4 cup dried lentils
- * 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- * 1/2 teaspoon salt
- * 1 (10 ounce) can tomato sauce
- * 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- * 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- * 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the chicken pieces 5 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear. Remove chicken from skillet, and set aside.
- 2. Place onion in the skillet, and cook 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in the carrot and garlic. Stir in the lentils and broth, and season with salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- 3. Return chicken to skillet. Cover, and continue cooking 20 minutes. If the mixture becomes too dry, add a little water to just moisten.
- 4. Stir tomato sauce into the skillet. Season with rosemary and basil. Continue cooking 10 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir in lemon juice, and serve warm.