- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy mother-in-law made this a few weeks ago and it was amazing. The spices mellow when they are cooked and it turns out to be a rich flavorful meal.
- 1.5 chickens (whole) (more if you like)
- 5 medium garlic cloves crushed
- 2.5 cm fresh ginger crushed
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 stick cinnamon
- 3 whole cloves
- Salt & pepper
- 200 grams ground almonds (process in food processor -- do not over process to avoid it become a paste like peanut butter)
- Lemon wedges
- Coriander seeds roasted
- In a pot, brown the chicken in oil and set aside.
- Heat the oil and fry the
- ginger, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon stick, cloves gently but do not burn.
- Add back the chicken and move around in the pot to cover with the mixture.
- Add salt, pepper and 2 cups of water (enough water to cook the chicken, as in roasted chicken with rice). Cook the chicken until done. Remove
- the chicken and pull out the cinnamon sticks.
- Save some (one quarter) of the stock for cooking the rice. Add the ground almonds to the remaining stock and mix constantly in the pot till it becomes a thick sauce. Adjust
- the amount of liquid, if you need to, but make sure *not* to let the sauce stick. Test the sauce for salt seasoning.
- When ready put in a serving sauce pan. If the sauce is not thick enough, you may thicken with mixture of cornflour.
- Cook rice in saved stock from chicken, adding more water as needed for amount of rice. You will get a fragrant, yellow rice. Basmati rice would work best.
- Serve the chicken on the side of the rice and the sauce pan and garnish with lemon wedges, roasted coriander seeds.