- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1.5 chickens (whole) (more if you like)
- 5 medium garlic cloves crushed
- 2.5 cm fresh ginger crushed
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 stick cinnamon
- 3 whole cloves
- Salt & pepper
- 200 grams ground almonds (process in food processor -- do not over process to avoid it become a paste like peanut butter)
- Lemon wedges
- Coriander seeds roasted
- In a pot, brown the chicken in oil and set aside.
- Heat the oil and fry the
- ginger, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon stick, cloves gently but do not burn.
- Add back the chicken and move around in the pot to cover with the mixture.
- Add salt, pepper and 2 cups of water (enough water to cook the chicken, as in roasted chicken with rice). Cook the chicken until done. Remove
- the chicken and pull out the cinnamon sticks.
- Save some (one quarter) of the stock for cooking the rice. Add the ground almonds to the remaining stock and mix constantly in the pot till it becomes a thick sauce. Adjust
- the amount of liquid, if you need to, but make sure *not* to let the sauce stick. Test the sauce for salt seasoning.
- When ready put in a serving sauce pan. If the sauce is not thick enough, you may thicken with mixture of cornflour.
- Cook rice in saved stock from chicken, adding more water as needed for amount of rice. You will get a fragrant, yellow rice. Basmati rice would work best.
- Serve the chicken on the side of the rice and the sauce pan and garnish with lemon wedges, roasted coriander seeds.
NotesMy mother-in-law made this a few weeks ago and it was amazing. The spices mellow when they are cooked and it turns out to be a rich flavorful meal.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MidLife Road Trip's
Taste of CenturyLink
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More