- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy favorite thing to order at an Italian place is chicken marsala--some do much better than others. This recipe is from Giada de Laurentis. It took me three years to make this b/c I couldn't find mascarpone cheese, but I have since found out that you can just substitute heavy whipping cream if you can't find it. She says you can substitute Sherry for the Marsala wine, which is what I did and this tasted as good as any recipe I have ever had at a restaurant. If you don't like mushrooms, just omit them.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 c chopped onion
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 2 Tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 c dry marsala wine or sherry
- 1 c mascarpone cheese or heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 12 oz dried fettuccine
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook just until brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Set aside to rest.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the fettuccine and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Toss with 3 Tbsp of butter.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- While the chicken cools, melt 2 Tbsp of the butter in the same skillet over medium-high heat, then add the onion and saute until it is tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute until the mushrooms are tender and the juices evaporate, about 12 minutes.
- Add the wine/sherry and simmer until it is is reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the mascarpone/heavy whipping cream.
- Cut the chicken breasts crosswise (against the grain) into 1/3 inch thick slices.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet.
- Simmer uncovered over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through and the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using tongs, mound the fettuccine on plates. Spoon the chicken mixture over and serve. Garnish with parmesan cheese.
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Frank's Redhot Buffalo Chicken Dip
Applesauce Oaties – Great, Great Grandma Hannon
Pumpkin CheesecakeSee More