- Cooking Time: 40 min
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- For Chicken:
- Chicken breast halves,(4) trimmed, cut to size and pounded slightly
- Dijon Mustard
- salt & Pepper
- Mixed together @1 ½ C total:
- Parmesan (kraft) and real romano both grated
- Dired thyme 2 t
- Salt & pepper
- For Sauce:
- One bulb fennel Trimmed, sliced thin & fronds saved for garnish
- Two medium to large onions sliced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled & halved
- 1 t each Dried or fresh to taste: Thyme, rosemary, oregano
- 2 T butter & 2 T olive oil
- 1 Jar Italian/hot marinated green olives, red pepper and hot pepperonchinis, reserving 2 T juice
- 1 lb grape tomatoes
- 1 bundle Asparagus tips & middle pieces (2” cuts, save bottoms for soup another day!)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 T capers
- Fresh lemon to "squirt" & garnish!
- For Quinoa:
- 2 Cups quinoa
- 4 Cups Chicken or veggie stock
- 2 cloves garlic (either halve & remove when cooked) or mince & leave in!
- 1 C parsley chopped
- 4 scallions sliced whites and greens
- 1 C arugula chopped (optional)
- 1 Lemon zested & juiced
- Salt & pepper
- Toasted Pine nuts or other nuts if desired
- Prepare Quinoa:
- Bring first three ingredients to a boil. Lower to LOW & simmer 15 to 20 min or until done & liquid is absorbed. Should be translucent & little “curl” visible. Gently “fluff” & fold in remaining ingredients. TASTE & adjust as needed!
- Prepare Chicken:
- Trim, halve each breast & pound slightly, salt & coarse pepper both sides. Spread Dijon on both sides coating fairly well. Dredge in the cheese mixture pat & coat well. Place slowly into fry pan using 2 T Butter & 2 T olive oil at medium high heat. You want hot enough to make the crust a golden brown do not burn!! Turn carefully and cook second side until golden reducing heat if needed. If chicken is not fully cooked thru you can finish in a 325 oven. Keep warm & set aside.
- Saute first 3 ingredients and dried herbs med/low (can use fresh if available) in butter & OO until almost translucent. salt slightly to sweat it out. DO NOT BROWN. Add asparagus, cook @ seven minutes, lower heat if needed. Add cherry tomatoes, capers, olives and red pepper bits from jar & 2 T reserved juice (reserve pepperoncini as a garnish). Add diced tomatoes and cook until they are almost dissolved & cherry tomatoes are almost ready to “pop”. Taste & season accordingly. Add parmesan if desired. Serve over prepared quinoa. Top with Chicken & garnish with squirt of lemon, thin lemon slices (if desired) fronds & small pepperoncinis.
NotesI have always wanted to use fennel in a recipe! I love chicken cooked with the dijon/parmesan crust, so I created this recipe based on those two favorites of mine. My hubby & family went crazy for this! It sounds like a lot of ingredients but it goes together so easily and most of the ingredients you already have on hand. A GREAT way to impress company! If fennel isn't your thing try it with leeks another "stalk" type veggie! Omit the chicken & use veggie broth and you have a delicious vegetarian meal! I love Mediterranean style foods so I hope you love my contribution!! Enjoy!
A Happy Life Cookbook : Recipes for a Healthy Life
Life on a Beach Easy Seafood Cooking at Home
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More