- Cooking Time: 40 min
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- For Chicken:
- Chicken breast halves,(4) trimmed, cut to size and pounded slightly
- Dijon Mustard
- salt & Pepper
- Mixed together @1 ½ C total:
- Parmesan (kraft) and real romano both grated
- Dired thyme 2 t
- Salt & pepper
- For Sauce:
- One bulb fennel Trimmed, sliced thin & fronds saved for garnish
- Two medium to large onions sliced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled & halved
- 1 t each Dried or fresh to taste: Thyme, rosemary, oregano
- 2 T butter & 2 T olive oil
- 1 Jar Italian/hot marinated green olives, red pepper and hot pepperonchinis, reserving 2 T juice
- 1 lb grape tomatoes
- 1 bundle Asparagus tips & middle pieces (2” cuts, save bottoms for soup another day!)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 T capers
- Fresh lemon to "squirt" & garnish!
- For Quinoa:
- 2 Cups quinoa
- 4 Cups Chicken or veggie stock
- 2 cloves garlic (either halve & remove when cooked) or mince & leave in!
- 1 C parsley chopped
- 4 scallions sliced whites and greens
- 1 C arugula chopped (optional)
- 1 Lemon zested & juiced
- Salt & pepper
- Toasted Pine nuts or other nuts if desired
- Prepare Quinoa:
- Bring first three ingredients to a boil. Lower to LOW & simmer 15 to 20 min or until done & liquid is absorbed. Should be translucent & little “curl” visible. Gently “fluff” & fold in remaining ingredients. TASTE & adjust as needed!
- Prepare Chicken:
- Trim, halve each breast & pound slightly, salt & coarse pepper both sides. Spread Dijon on both sides coating fairly well. Dredge in the cheese mixture pat & coat well. Place slowly into fry pan using 2 T Butter & 2 T olive oil at medium high heat. You want hot enough to make the crust a golden brown do not burn!! Turn carefully and cook second side until golden reducing heat if needed. If chicken is not fully cooked thru you can finish in a 325 oven. Keep warm & set aside.
- Saute first 3 ingredients and dried herbs med/low (can use fresh if available) in butter & OO until almost translucent. salt slightly to sweat it out. DO NOT BROWN. Add asparagus, cook @ seven minutes, lower heat if needed. Add cherry tomatoes, capers, olives and red pepper bits from jar & 2 T reserved juice (reserve pepperoncini as a garnish). Add diced tomatoes and cook until they are almost dissolved & cherry tomatoes are almost ready to “pop”. Taste & season accordingly. Add parmesan if desired. Serve over prepared quinoa. Top with Chicken & garnish with squirt of lemon, thin lemon slices (if desired) fronds & small pepperoncinis.
NotesI have always wanted to use fennel in a recipe! I love chicken cooked with the dijon/parmesan crust, so I created this recipe based on those two favorites of mine. My hubby & family went crazy for this! It sounds like a lot of ingredients but it goes together so easily and most of the ingredients you already have on hand. A GREAT way to impress company! If fennel isn't your thing try it with leeks another "stalk" type veggie! Omit the chicken & use veggie broth and you have a delicious vegetarian meal! I love Mediterranean style foods so I hope you love my contribution!! Enjoy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Taste of CenturyLinkSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More