- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 180 (inc 120 marinating)
- ½ cup oil
- 1 sprig cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 chicken breasts
- ½ onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 serrano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 8 tomatillos, peeled and quartered
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 romaine leaves, chopped
- 4 poblano chiles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 sprigs * epazote or parsley
- ¾ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted and ground
- 6 lemons
- Combine oil, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour over chicken and allow to marinate at least 2 hours.
- Grill the chicken on a charbroiler or charcoal grill to 165° F.
- Arrange chicken breast in serving pan.
- Heat a saucepan or steam kettle.
- Add the onion, garlic and serrano chile.
- Cook until the aroma blossoms.
- Add the tomatillo and cook until heated.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes, or until the tomatillos are soft.
- Add the mixture to a blender or use a hand blender to blend tomatillo mixture, add the romaine and the poblano.
- Purée until smooth.
- Add the cilantro, epazote or parsley and pumpkin seeds.
- Purée mixture again.
- Put back in pot or allow to come back to a simmer.
- Add the remaining broth to make a smooth consistent sauce.
- Simmer for half an hour, stirring often.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken breast and bake at 350° F for 20 minutes, or until chicken is at 165° F internal temperature.
- Slice the lemon and garnish the chicken.
Notes* EPAZOTE [eh-paw-ZOH-teh] is a Mexican herb that has a very strong taste and sometimes has a gasoline or perfume-like odor. It has been used in Mexican cuisine for thousands of years dating back to the Aztecs who used it for cooking as well as for medicinal purposes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!See More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More