- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Large Chicken (I prefer around 4 1/2-5 pounds)
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup shortening
- Boil the chicken in a large pot with celery leaves and
- stalks (one or two),a carrot, and an onion....
- Boil chicken 'til meat falls off the bone
- Take chicken out of broth and set aside
- Remove celery,carrot, and onion, then strain the broth.
- Pick the chicken meat off the bone and put into the broth.
- Bring Broth to a boil.
- The Dumplins'
- While broth and chicken is coming to a boil.
- In a bowl measure out flour....cut the shortening into the flour with a fork or a pastry blender. Add milk until you have a sticky dough.
- Generously flour a cutting board, countertop or whatever...and put sticky dough on it....play with it a little to just get the sticky out....then take a rolling pin.....covered in flour ....and roll out dough til very thin....this will make a big circle of dough.then I rub flour all over the rolled out dough...with a pizza cutter I cut the dumplins...first in strips then in squares....drop these dumpluns into the boiling water one at the time....whenfinished cut the stove down to medium or medium low (depending on your stove...mine is electric)...cook for 15 minutes COVERED
- At the end of fifteen minutes take off lid...turn off dumplins....and break apart some of bigger dumplins with spoon....sprinkle generously with pepper..put lid back on and let sit for about 30 minutes
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More