- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI saw a version of this recipe on the www.bodyforlife.com site and added to it to make it have more oomph.
They're really simple and quite similar to crab cakes and they taste great.
- 1 can chicken or tuna
- 1/4 c. egg beaters
- 6-8 honey wheat pretzel rods-crushed
- (to taste)
- red pepper flakes
- celery or celery seed
- onion or onion powder or minced onions
- dill weed
- In a ziploc baggie crush the pretzel rods with a rolling pin.
- Drain chicken or tuna and break apart.
- Add spices, pretzel rods and egg beaters and mix everything together well.
- Spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray and add mixture in two patty-like portions.
- Cook until warm and browned on both sides
- Can be eaten as a burger on a whole wheat bun, or in a whole wheat tortilla or with a salad (my personal choice)
- Can also be served with ketchup or sauce of choice.
- *** for the tuna a low-fat high protein substitute "aioli" is tasty.
- The one i use is a combination of..
- Whipped cottage cheese (1/4 -1/2cup )
- Minced garlic (1TBS)
- Key lime juice
- Red pepper flakes
- This makes a great addition to the tuna cake
- This recipe packs a whopping 28g of good, healthy, lean protein and only 2 g of fat....carbs only from the pretzels, and they're naturally low in fat and being wheat have a better glycemic index.