- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 1/2 to 4 lbs Chicken cut into serving pieces, patted dry
- 2 Tbsp Oil, butter or lard
- 2 Onions sliced thin
- 1/4 cup Hungarian sweet paprika
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Stock or water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice (opt.)
- Add the chicken pieces a few at a time and brown on all sides. Remove to a platter.
- Remove excess oil or add more as needed and saute onions over medium heat until wilted and beginning to color. Stir in paprika and flour and cook through 1-2 more minutes.
- Whisk in the stock or water to prevent lumps. Add the chicken pieces along with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a platter and skim excess fat from sauce. Stir in sour cream and lemon juice if using. Adjust salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Return chicken and heat through.
- VARIATIONS: Some recipes call for green peppers to be added with the onions. Others call for tomatoes or mushrooms to be added with the stock.
- Use a little hot paprika with the sweet for an extra kick.
- Substitute boneless, skinless chicken breast for a lower fat version.
- Some recipes have the flour stirred into the sour cream instead and then added with it at the end to thicken the sauce. Others add no flour at all. I think the version above works best.