- Cooking Time: 8
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 35
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 chicken cutlets or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups jarred tomato sauce or Easy Chunky Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh, cut into eight 1/4-inch-thick slices
1. Heat broiler. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a shallow bowl.
Season both sides of chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Dip chicken in the beaten egg, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat both sides.
2. Spread tomato sauce onto the bottom of a 10-by-15-inch baking dish.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Place 4 chicken cutlets in skillet; cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
Using a spatula, transfer browned cutlets to baking dish, placing them on top of sauce. Repeat with remaining oil and cutlets.
3. Top each cutlet with a slice of mozzarella. Broil about 4 inches from heat source until sauce is hot and cheese is melted and lightly browned in spots, 5 to 8 minutes.
Note: Dredging the Chicken:
Use shallow bowls for the egg and the coating mixture.
After dipping the chicken in egg, let the excess egg drip off before coating the cutlet in the breadcrumb mixture.
Although this dish is traditionally served with a side of pasta, a crisp salad dressed with oil, vinegar, and herbs is also a nice accompaniment. This chicken also makes wonderful leftovers. Reheat it for 10 minutes; try it in a sandwich with a little extra sauce on the side.