- Cooking Time: 1hr.+
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- Tomato sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, preferably organic
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Cooking spray
- 4 thin chicken cutlets (about 1 1/4 pounds total)
- Salt to taste
- 2 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons dry Italian bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 to 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Tomato Sauce: Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the flavors are blended and the sauce begins to thicken slightly, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the basil.
- Chicken: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle the cutlets with the salt. Lightly beat the egg whites in a medium bowl. Combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan on a sheet of waxed paper. Spread the flour on another sheet of waxed paper. Working with 1 piece of chicken at a time, dip both sides into the flour, shaking off excess. Dip each piece into the egg whites, shaking off excess, and then press both sides into the breading to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken (in batches, if necessary) and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken, in 1 layer, to the baking dish. Spoon the sauce over the chicken then sprinkle with the cheese. Bake, covered loosely with a tent of foil, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More