- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstoryBuraik is a popular Arabic recipe. I have known two versions of Buraik, one being ground beef, eggs, and the other bananas and cream, which is a dessert Buraik. Its fun to make old classics have new twist. This version is so tasty you will have everyone begging you to make it again.
- 5 chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 3/4 cup chunky garden pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pound puff pastry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1. Allow puff pastry to defrost at room temperature for at least 2-1/2 hours. When defrosted divide into two half’s. Cover with a towel until needed. In a medium saucepan on medium heat add chicken breast, cover with water and allow to cook, about 20 minutes or until done. Drain water then shred chicken.
- 2. In a sauté pan on medium heat, add chicken, pasta sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well, allow to cook 5 minutes. Roll each dough into a thin circle, a circle that will cover a 9 inch pie pan. Lightly butter pie pan bottom and sides. Add one circle of pastry into the pan, covering. Carefully prick dough with a fork. Add chicken mix, and then sprinkle cheese. Add second pastry circle on top, covering meat. With fingers, press edges of each circle together, to form slight mound. With a pastry brush, carefully brush egg yolk all over pastry. Make small slit in top middle of Buraik.
- 3. In a pre-heated 350 F oven bake Buraik 25-30 minutes, until top is golden.