CHICKEN POPEYE SOUP ( CHICKEN AND SPINACH POT PIE SOUP)
- Servings: 10
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup portabello mushrooms, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups chicken stock (HomeMade is best)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon (Grandular type)
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chicken breasts, raw and cubed
- 3/4 cup powdered milk
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
In a small fry pan add olive oil, onion, portabello and celery.
Cook till soft, set aside in into another bowl.
In the same pan, saute Chicken pieces with alittle olive oil till done. About 10 minutes.
In stock pot add the chicken stock, 3 tablespoons of the chicken boullion, and cubed chicken. Cooked about 10 minutes.
Heat to a soft boil, reduce heat and add the onion, mushroom and celery mixture, and the powdered milk.
Add the spinach and basil.
Simmer just till spinach and basil are limp. About 5 to 8 minutes.
Add cheddar cheese, stir til melted.
Bring back to a soft boil.
Add corn starch in 1/3 cups cold water, slowly add into the chicken stock.
Stir till all is thicken.
In bowl, add butter and flour till like small peas.
Add enough water to make a nice pie dough.
Roll out on floured board and cut into desired shapes, place onto cookie sheet, bake till light brown.
Let cool about 15 minutes.
Laddle into bowl.
Place pieces of the crust on top of the soup. Enjoy!