- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 6 servings
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup or less olive oil
- 4 to 5 small leeks, washed thoroughly and sliced
- 1/2 cup rice, uncooked***
- 6 cups fat free chicken broth (one large can of College Inn)
- 1 whole chicken, cut up with skin removed (about 3 pounds)
- 2 TBPS fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried tarragon
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- 2 carrots , peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add leeks and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add rice and cook stirring often for about 1 minute.
- Add broth, chicken, lemon juice, celery, parsley, salt and pepper, bay leaf and tarragon. Secure lid.
- Over high heat, develop steam to high pressure.
- Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook for 10 minutes.
- Release pressure according to manufacturer’s instructions. Remove lid.
- Remove chicken from soup.
- Remove chicken from bones, cut into 1 inch cubes, add to soup.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Discard bones.
- Add carrots and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes until carrots are tender. Refrigerate and skim off any fat that develops.
- Serve hot with chopped parsley as a garnish.
- ***You can use 2 cups of noodles, broken into pieces in place of rice
- I don't add the carrots while cooking under pressure since I don't like well cooked carrots. You could try it for yourself to see what your preference is.
NotesOnce you taste this you will never go back to buying a can of chicken rice soup again.
Here, again, the pressure cooker does a wonderful job.
For a variation, I add 2 cups of noodles, broken into pieces in place of the rice.
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Susan's Spicy Mac And Cheese Ala Karl: Desperate Housewives
Soggy Saturday Wings by C.C. Chapman
Recipe in a Jar by Kodak Easy ShareSee More