CHICKEN RICE SOUP
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked short-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in 1/2-inch pieces (optional
Heat oil in large heavy saucepan.
Add garlic,onions,shallot,celery and carrots.
Cook stirring occasionally for appp. 20 minutes.
Add rice and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover and.
Simmer for app 1 hour or until vegetables and rice are cooked.
Serve with grated parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper.
I often make this soup without the chicken.
Add any fresh herbs.
This is very easy to transfer to your slow cooker and cook at Low for 4 hours.