"Chicken Rollades With Tomato Roasted Red Pepper Sauce"Serves 6 | Prep Time 35 | Cook Time 35
Why I Love This Recipe
My Chicken Rollades With Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Sauce is a great make-ahead comfort dish. It’s great for a dinner party or buffet – I made it for a group of 20 once, 10 of them visiting Italians – everybody loved it! It’s nutritious, tasty and will satisfy even the heartiest of appetites. It’s a great take along dish too!
Ingredients You'll Need
6 Organic, Skinless, Boneless Chicken Thighs
6 Ounces Apple-Sage Chicken Sausage (See our recipe for this)
6 Slices Of Prosciutto
2 Tsps Avocado Oil or Grapeseed Oil
6 Cups Organic Tomatoes, Roughly Chopped
2 Large Organic Carrots, Minced
1 Medium Onion, Minced
2 Roasted Red Peppers, Seeded & Peeled
1 1/2 Tsp Minced Garlic or To Personal Taste
1/2 Cup White Wine
1/4 Cup Fresh Basil, Chopped, additional for garnish, if you wish
1 Tsp Sea Salt
Grinds Of Fresh Pepper To Personal Taste
1) On your work surface, lay a piece of prosciutto. Center a chicken thigh on top of the prosciutto. Scoop out about an ounce of Apple-Sage Chicken Sausage and place it in the center of the chicken thigh. Using the prosciutto as a help, wrap the chicken thigh & prosciutto around the sausage. Secure your bundle with toothpicks by skewering each rollade forming an ‘X’ with the toothpicks. I like two ‘X’s’ one nearing each end of the rollade – then you know that your rollade will stay together during cooking. Place each rollade on your large plate as you go.
2) Preheat your pan over medium heat. You will know that your pan is ready when you feel heat radiating from pan while holding your hand about 1-inch above the pan surface. Now add your avocado or grape seed oil & swirl it around the pan. With your tongs, add your rollades to the pan, giving them each a little bit of room. Sautee them until they are brown on the bottom side. This usually takes about 5 – 6 minutes but every stove is a little different. You will know that your rollades are ready to turn when they come lose from the pan. Make sure that you are controlling your heat at medium and you shouldn’t have a problem with sticking or over-browning. Turn the rollades and brown them in the second side, about 5 minutes more. Remove them to your plate & set them aside for now.
3) To the food processor, add the red peppers; puree until smooth. Add the tomatoes and process, just until chunky.
4) Now back to the stove… Pour out any excess fat that may be in your pan from browning the chicken. Saute the onions and the carrots until the onions are opaque. Add the tomato/roasted red pepper mixture to the pan and bring it to a simmer; cover it for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Now add your rollades to the pans; cover the pan. Allow the rollades simmer for about 25 minutes, moving the rollades around the pan occasionally.
5) Transfer the pan to your work surface. Transfer the rollades to your kitchen plate. Now it’s time to remove the toothpicks. Hold each rollade with your tongs securely and carefully pull out the toothpicks. The toothpicks will not be burning hot but the chicken will, so feel free to use your fingers when pulling out the the picks but hold the chicken with your tongs to protect yourself.
6) To serve, ladle some sauce onto each dinner plate ;lay a rollade on top of the sauce; sprinkle with a little fresh chopped basil for garnish if you wish.
Pairs Well With
Quinoa Pilaf with Cumin & Peas.