- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryDon't dress the chicken when it's warm--it will absorb too much of the dressing. For even less fuss, use a fully cooked supermarket rotisserie chicken. This recipe is best served over salad greens.
- 3 - 3 1/2 pound whole chicken
- Table salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil plus 1 additional tablespoon
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes , drained, rinsed, and minced
- 1 small clove garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 pound asparagus , trimmed of tough ends and cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts , toasted
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Roast in a 375-degree oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 165 to 170 degrees, about 1 hour, 10 minutes. When cool, pull the meat off the bones in 2-inch shreds, discarding fat and sinew. Reserve 5 cups for this recipe; set the rest aside for another use. (The chicken can be roasted, shredded, and refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.)
- 2. Puree 1/2 cup oil, vinegar, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in blender until smooth. Transfer to large bowl. (Dressing may be made ahead of time, covered, and refrigerated overnight. Whisk to recombine before using.)
- 3. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until beginning to smoke; add asparagus, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook until asparagus is browned and almost tender, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to plate to cool.
- 4. Add cooled asparagus and basil to vinaigrette; stir to combine. Add chicken and toss gently to combine; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and sprinkle with goat cheese, if using, and pine nuts. Serve immediately.