- Cooking Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Preparation Time:
BackstorySo I do not know if you have noticed but groceries are getting very expensive. Seems every time I go it is costing more. When they put sales on I am buying in bulk again. Which now means I have to have a storage area. In the eighties things were very expensive I bought a few cookbooks on low cost cooking and making your own mixes. They have come off the shelf again.
This Recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens Low-Cost Cooking. It is a nice easy dish to make on a week night or a weekend dinner. Great served with mashed potatoes or rice. When whole chickens were on sale bought 4, kept 2 whole, one cut in half and one cut up into pieces.
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tsp. salt (sea salt)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning (can omit)
- 1 chicken cut up (or use pieces already cup up)
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. instant chicken bouillon granules (used beef, I like the flavour better)
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (I used balsamic vinegar)
- In large flat bowl mix flour, salt, paprika and poultry seasoning together. You can use a large plastic bag to mix this in. Add your chicken and dredge in flour mixture and shake off excess. In bag place chicken in and shake it around then shake off excess and place on plate for both ways.
- Save the excess flour.
- In a small skillet place a tbsp. of butter. When bubbling add carrots and onions and saute until tender. Cook on a med-low heat. You do not want to brown this only soften. I find it makes a difference in the dish if you do this first.
- In a large skillet heat cooking oil. When it is hot add chicken pieces skin side down. When the meat is brown then turn over and brown other side. Cook for 15 minutes turning as necessary after the pieces are browned. Remove from skillet onto plate.
- To make sauce, stir in reserved flour mixture and sugar into the pan dripping, cooking flour until light browned. Dissolved the bouillon granules into the hot water; and stir into skillet. Cook and stir until it is thick and bubbling. Add your softened carrots and onions, parsley, and balsamic vinegar. Return your chicken to pan and arrange on top of the veggies. Cover; simmer for 40 to 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Have a heated platter ready and place chicken on it. Take sauce and pass with chicken. It is great with mashed potatoes or rice.
- Serves 6 to 8