CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Part 1:
- 12 Cups Chicken Broth (you will need 14 Cups total for this recipe)
- 3 Limes - Juiced
- 1-1/2 Cups Tomato Juice
- 1 Cup Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- 1 Bunch Green Onion, Sliced and Chopped
- 1 Can (15 oz.) Diced Tomatoes, with the juice
- 1 TBL Chile Powder
- 1 TBL Cumin
- 2 TBL Worchestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp. Crushed Dried Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Chipolte Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Pepper
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- Part 2:
- 3 Large Onions, sliced and chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, crushed to a paste
- Part 3:
- 4 lbs. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- Part 4:
- 21 oz. Chopped Mild Green Chiles, drained well
- 2 Cans (15 oz each) Golden Yellow Hominy, drained
- 1 Cup Masa Flour (that has been mixed and shaken with 2 Cups Chicken Broth)
Put all the above in a big soup pot (approx. 18 Qt.) and bring just to a boil, lower heat and simmer very gently for 1 hour.
During this time, saute the following in 3 TBL Olive Oil until onions are a little golden:
3 Large Onions, sliced and chopped
4 Cloves Garlic, crushed to a paste
Add the above to the simmered broth mixture.
Wipe your skillet with a paper towel and add about 3 TBL Olive Oil. Get it hot and add:
4 lbs. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, pounded out slightly to even thickness, sprinkled with Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder on both sides.
Cook 4 minutes on each side (no more). Let cool slightly; cut into strips, then cross cut them to make cubes.
Add Chicken cubes and:
21 oz. Chopped Mild Green Chiles, drained well
2 Cans (15 oz each) Golden Yellow Hominy, drained
1 Cup Masa Flour (that has been mixed and shaken with 2 Cups Chicken Broth)
to the soup pot. Stir until the flour mixture has been mixed in completely, then simmer another 1/2 hour until all is hot and slightly thickened.
Serve bowls of soup topped with: Tortilla Chips (or fresh corn tortillas, sliced into strips and deep fried in oil until crisp. Sprinkle them with Kosher Salt), Avocado Slices, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Sour Cream, Minced Green Onions.