- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy boyfriend spent many years in Japan and came to really enjoy Japanese cuisine. This dish is usually done by skewering the chicken and grilling it but I have changed it to a pan frying recipe for my convenience. The 1st time I made it on an indoor grill it smoked us out so bad we had to open windows and turn on fans. I serve it over rice. By all means try it on the outdoor grill - it's delicious. This recipe serves 4.
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup Sake
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 4 cups Water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the soy sauce, sake and sugar.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of mixture.
- Cube the chicken breasts and place in marinade mixture.
- Coat chicken pieces well.
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- In a large skillet place either 1 tablespoon oil or spray with Pam.
- Allow pan to get hot but not smoking.
- Pour the chicken and the marinade into the pan and allow chicken to cook thoroughly.
- In a bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons of reserved liquid with the cornstarch.
- Bring remainder of the liquid to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add the cornstarch slurry and stir constantly. Continue to boil until the sauce thickens and then simmer for 1 minute.
- Serve over rice and garnish with sesame seeds.
- If you chose to grill this then change lines 4 and 5 to the following:
- After cubing the chicken, secure on skewers and then grill chicken until done, basting regularly.