- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20
- 4 skinless, cubed chicken breasts (preferably free range)
- 1 large sliced onion
- 1 punnet of white button mushrooms
- 1 cube of chicken stock
- 1 and 1/4 cups of water
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 cup mixed frozen veg (peas, carrots and corn)
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (8 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Sautee sliced onions in 1 tablespoon of butter until translucent.
- Turn up heat and add punnet of sliced white button mushrooms.
- Fry for approximately 3 minutes then remove mushroom and onion mix from pan/pot.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in emptied pan/pot and add bite-size chicken breast pieces. Fry and stir continuously until all pieces are sealed. Splash a tablespoon of Worcester Sauce onto chicken pieces while frying.
- Once chicken pieces are sealed, not cooked through, add mushroom and onion mix to pan/pot. Add black pepper to taste and stir.
- Dissolve chicken stock cube in 1 cup of boiling water and add to chicken, mushroom and onion mix.
- After stirring in stock, add 3/4 cup of milk mixed with 1/4 cup water. Boil mixture for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add 1 cup of mixed frozen veg. Boil for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, use a large ladle and scoop out approximately 1 cup of sauce from mixture. Pour into a cup and add 2 teaspoons of corn starch. Stir until all lumps have dissolved. Add corn starch and sauce mix to mixture. Stir until filling has thickened to your liking.
- Grease an oven proof dish and lay down bottom crust.
- Once oven is preheated, place dish with bottom crust in oven for approximately 5 mins.
- Remove from oven, add filling and cover with top crust. Ensure that edges are sealed. Make a cute decorations with pastry cut-offs and use a knife to make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Lightly paint top crust with beaten egg yolk.
- Bake for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Ovens vary so baking time may vary. Keep an eye on it!
NotesThis recipe is a simplified version of my dad's famous chicken pie.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
culinary karmaSee More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More